Monday, August 21, 2017

WWE Summerslam 2017 Results and Review The Marathon Show Continues

Brown Shoeman Drops Lesnar - SRC wwe.com
If you had plans for Sunday night, I hope you erased them when you heard that the WWE Summerslam PPV was going to be 9 hours long. Ok, it wasn’t that long, but it certainly was long enough to garner a lot of tired faces by the time the main event came through. I have heard a lot of people talk about this show, and I’ve seen a lot of videos about what the thoughts were from a variety of people. But these are my thoughts on the night, as you know I was going to say something, because I sat through a lot of wrestling after writing an essay for school.

WWE Summerslam 2017 Results and Review


The Miz and The Miztourage defeated The Hardy Boyz and Jason Jordan

The arena was empty for this match. It was bad. These guys fought to a decent match, but I don’t know why they chose to do the same match again from Raw. This wasn’t half bad, but of course, The Miz and his crew got the big win on the ppv. This was fast paced, and not necessarily bad, but I’m not sure why Miz wasn’t defending his title here. I guess maybe it won’t happen until the next PPV. Jason Jordan and his team loses, in front of 12 people, and I’m not kidding.

Neville defeated Akira Tozawa for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship

This was fascinating, as it was another match between these two guys. Tozawa beat Neville on Raw, and it was a good match. However, this was another match where the two put on some good back and forth. However, the leaping senton bomb was thwarted by Neville, and the Red Arrow came through and Tozawa was done. I do not know what Titus O’Neil doesn’t help out, or cause a distraction. This was an ok match, but again, only like 20 people in the audience made this ok, at best.

The Usos defeated The New Day for the WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship

I do not think there is a better duo than The Usos. They are on the same exact page, and they keep pushing through a lot of moves, and reversals, with expert timing. These two guys are just incredible. The New Day is boring to me, but they keep trying to put on good matches. They did just that, and they were able to gain the upper hand for a good portion of the match, but it was the Usos and their fast-paced wrestling that ended up getting the big win. I loved the ending, dual super kicks, and their finish, which was stellar. The Usos are in their prime.

John Cena defeated Baron Corbin

This was a burial. Do not even argue with me. This was a burial that was akin to many other burials that you’ve seen in the past. John Cena defeated Baron Corbin clean. I kid you not. Clean. Cena wins in the opening match, and goes home to sleep because tomorrow he’s probably doing something grand. Well, tomorrow is Tuesday, but maybe he’s on Raw tonight? Oh boy!

Natalya defeated Naomi for the Smackdown Women’s Championship

This was a sloppy match, and I had a stomach issue. I went to the bathroom at one point, and came back, and it was still going. Natalya can be good, and Naomi has gotten better, but there was something missing between these two. It was fun, no doubt, and the winner was Natalya. She made Naomi tap out to the sharpshooter, which I thought was great, so good for her.

Big Cass defeated Big Show w/ Enzo Amore in a Shark Cage

The best part of this match was Enzo Amore stripping, lubing himself up and escaping the cage. That was thwarted by Cass, with a huge kick. Show got pinned after the empire elbow, and that was that. Not a great match, but Enzo was funny to me.

Randy Orton defeated Rusev

And another burial. Rusev has been downhill for a while, and here we go, Orton shows up and with a RKO out of nowhere, and the end. Less than 5 minutes. Rusev loses, and that’s that.

Sasha Banks defeated Alexa Bliss for the Raw Women’s Championship

This wasn’t half bad. This was interesting, with Alexa impressing me a lot. Sasha put on a show as usual, but I didn’t like the end. I thought for sure Alexa Bliss should’ve pinned banks with her finisher, or at least threw a tantrum and walked out, for a DQ finish. But no, this time we get Sasha Banks winning after a lot of back and forth. However, Banks looked to have messed up her shoulder, legit, so we’ll see how that goes on. Banks got beat up in this match, Bliss was great, but she pulled a rabbit out of the hat and won the title yet again. Good for her.

The Demon Finn Balor defeated Bray Wyatt

I’m not a fan of boring ass Finn Balor. He beat the Eater of Pins, and that was that. It was about 8 minutes long, and Wyatt loses fast, after a ton of offense from Balor. This match was just Balor throwing himself around at Wyatt, that’s about it.

Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins defeated Cesaro and Sheamus for the Raw Tag Team Championship

This wasn’t half bad. This was kind of cool, a good amount of action, and both teams throwing down a lot of punishment against each other. I loved the dynamic, and at the end, it was Ambrose and Rollins won a huge solution overall. This was a classic tag team battle, with two members of the Shield. I wanted to Roman Reigns to join them, but nope. I didn’t dislike Dean in this one, which was grand. Ambrose and Rollins make a great team, and this match was a great one, including the beach ball getting torn apart by Cesaro. The commentary team sucks, though.

AJ Styles defeated Kevin Owens with Special Guest Referee Shane McMahon

Not a bad match. The best of their series, but it wasn’t that great. Owens will most likely fight McMahon, I guess. Styles is great, I love his work, but he needs a new opponent, I’m tired of him fighting Owens. Although, I wouldn’t mind seeing Shane McMahon versus Kevin Owens with Aj Styles as a guest referee! This was ok, I have no complaints, but we need something new.

WWE Champion Jinder Mahal defeated Shinsuke Nakamura

Well, the burial of Nakamura is complete. Jinder Mahal defeated Shinsuke, and wow, that was the end. Nakamura did ok with Mahal, and the Singh brothers helped him get the win. Jinder isn’t half bad, but he’s juicing. I liked the dynamic, but watching Nakamura lose, with a botched finish? I guess that’s the best that can happen with Jinder. Jinder’s mainstream push hit a high note this morning as the New York Times talked about Jinder, and well, that’s good. Good for him.

WWE Universal Champion Brock Lesnar defeated Roman Reigns, Samoa Joe, and Braun Strowmana

This fatal 4 way title match was about as good as you’re going to get from WWE’s mainstream offering. I was surprised by how good the match was, because Brock was getting taken out early by Braun. Braun really got to Lesnar, and he even through him through two tables, before the paramedics came out. They wheeled out Brock, and he left for a while. But he came back, and then it was time to go to Suplex City! This was a good match, with lots of action. All guys hit their moves, submissions, and so much more. I was impressed with even Roman Reigns! Holy crap the dude threw down. This was fun, and a great showing. Oh, and of course, I had to mention Braun throwing the damn padded chair made another appearance. Lame.

Summerslam was good, no doubt. But was it great? Not as good as NXT if you ask me. The wrestling was good, but this was really long, and that’s my only big critique for this show. After sitting through so many hours, I don’t know if I even want to review Raw, but probably will. This was a lot of wrestling, and a lot of burials, and random notes. Oh, and Elias is great, more Elias and the Drifter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...