Wednesday, April 11, 2018

NXT Takeover New Orleans April 7, 2018 Results and Review

Shayna Baszler NXT Takeover 2018 - source WWE 
I’m excited that I will be seeing NXT in Chicago later this year. I am excited to see the product in person, and if it is anything like this one, I’m going to be in for a great treat for sure. As for all of that, let’s start with our take on this past weekend’s big event. We will be talking about NXT Takeover New Orleans.

NXT Takeover New Orleans April 7, 2018 Results and Review


Adam Cole defeated EC3, Killian Dain, Lars Sullivan, Ricochet, and Velveteen Dream in a Ladder Match for the NXT North American Championship

This was a stellar 30 minute match that had everything you’d want from a ladder match, with the sole exception of blood. That’s just a small nitpick, but other than that, you’re going to find that there was a lot of greatness, that featured these guys killing themselves for a title. There’s so much to explore in this match that I can’t list everything I liked, it’s just one of the best ladder matches that I’ve seen in a long time. Ricochet here, holy crap, Velvet Teen Dream, holy crap, and you know what, amazing.

Shayna Baszler defeated Ember Moon for the NXT Women’s Championship

I disagree with nearly every podcast that I heard talking about NXT Takeover. I loved this match, and loved Shayna Baszler’s improvement from the past match that she had with Ember Moon. Shayna has improved so much that I saw shades of Zack Sabre Jr. and he’s my favorite wrestler right now. Shayna Baszler improved so much that she was able to counter some of Ember Moon’s offense and eventually get her to pass out in her finisher. I was so glad to see the change that I may pick up a Shayna Baszler shirt, even if I’m the only one wearing one.

The Undisputed Era defeated Authors of Pain, and Pete Dunne and Roderick Strong for the NXT Championship and Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Trophy

This was a stellar match with a lot of upside. I loved the process that was going on in this three way dance for the title and trophy. It was going well until Roderick Strong turned on Pete Dunne and caused this match to go down hill. The match dropped a heel turn for Strong, and he joined The Undisputed Era and is now part of the championship category of NXT. Dunne, however, was laid out as a result. Good match, and I appreciated the turn.

Aleister Black defeated Andrade “Cien” Almas for the NXT Championship

Aleister Black put on a show against Almas, and Almas stuck with him every single turn. I loved it. I appreciated the work the two put into this match, and the counters that worked through the various stages of this incredible match for the title. I was going for Almas, so when he lost in a sequence that was quite good, I was impressed. Aleister Black was able to get the Black Mass strapped on with ease and won the match. A good one.

Johnny Gargano defeated Tommaso Ciampa in an Unsanctioned Match

Holy hell, perhaps the best match I’ve seen this year. I thought Okada versus Zack Sabre Jr. was good, but it goes second now. Gargano and Ciampa put the boots to each other and left it all out in the ring. Ciampa and Gargano’s finish was great, both sitting in the middle of the ring, and then the Gargano lock with Ciamapa’s knee brace across his own face was great to see. This 37 match was stellar above all else, and was absolutely the best thing I’ve seen all weekend, now that I take it all in.

NXT Takeover New Orleans is what the WWE should be all the time, and yet it is not. This is one hell of a show and something that you need to really see, as there were some great moments here, and it’s just a great overall rundown of programming that you will love as a wrestling fan, simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...