Monday, May 2, 2016

WWE Payback 2016 Results and Review The New Era’s First Event

All Images are from WWE.COM (SOURCE)
The All State Arena in Chicago was the home for WWE Payback 2016 and while I am only a few hours away from the arena, I decided to catch it on the WWE Network. I wasn’t expecting a lot, but wow, things got moving fast.

Before we go through my thoughts, let me tell you about my predictions that I got wrong and right.

Here are my predictions as posted yesterday or the day before.


U.S. Championship Match, I picked Ryback.

I predicted the McMahon’s would set up a match for control at the next ppv.

I picked Natalya winning via DQ (RIGHT KIND OF)

I picked NO winner.

I picked The Miz (RIGHT)

I picked Jericho.

I picked Corbin.

I picked The Vaudevillians (nope)

I picked Roman Reigns (RIGHT)

I also predicted Bullet Club showing up, the Wyatts and Finn Balor.

Now, with that out of the way, let’s consider WWE Payback 2016 Results and Review from last night!


Dolph Ziggler defeated Baron Corbin


The opening match wasn’t that grand, and didn’t end like I thought it would end. Baron Corbin lost this one, but he did have a lot of control over the match. He looked strong, with a lot of power moves. However, the finale came with Ziggler doing a quick roll up and that’s it. I didn’t think this was great. However, I did like Corbin’s entrance.

Kalisto defeated Ryback (United States Championship)


Kalisto put on a nice showing, but some of his offense just isn’t believable to me. Ryback put on a serious show here. He put through some big power moves and threw Kalisto around a lot. However, it was Kalisto that took the win here, and it was a better match than WrestleMania.

Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady vs. The Vaudevillians NO CONTEST


This match barely got underway before something big happened. Enzo Amore was thrown into the ropes, he caught the second rope and dropped on his head, knocking himself completely out. He was out cold, and that stopped the match and caused the stretcher to come out. This was not a work, this was legit. Amore was diagnosed with a concussion, and he was released from the hospital. This was a freak accident, but hey, it happens.

Kevin Owens defeated Sami Zayn


An all-out brawl. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn put on a 4 star classic here. Back and forth through a lot of different points, and I was hoping for a Zayn win. Owens would eventually win, but not without putting on a showcase of various power moves, and insane movements. The frog splash he threw out was stellar, Zayn’s athleticism is always grand, and this one took the match of the night. Owens heel ways are beyond a shadow of a doubt the best in the business right now. He got on commentary afterwards and berated the team, except for JBL. Great stuff here.

The Miz defeated Cesaro (Intercontinental Championship)


Not a great match, not a bad one, these two work fine together. The match flowed very well, and Cesaro was poised to get the big win here. The Miz however, got the final pin after Sami Zayn attacked Owens and the two brawled and caused distraction in the ring. Cesaro knocked the two off the apron and Miz picked up the win. The end set up a 4-way match for Extreme Rules, and well, Owens really wants his intercontinental title match. This was not a classic, but a great bit of wrestling towards the end.

Dean Ambrose defeated Chris Jericho


Another great match, and a surprise Ambrose win. Jericho and Ambrose went back and forth, but I was a bit distracted with twitter, because Enzo’s injury from earlier in the night. I liked it. It was ok, and Ambrose got the win, but I don’t know where he goes from here.


Charlotte defeated Natalya (Women’s Championship)


Now this was an odd one. Bret Hart looked old, tired, and definitely didn’t look like he was ready to be back on television at all. The two put on a great overall match, with Charlotte looking absolutely amazing. I was left wondering where Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch were. I thought it was a diva’s revolution, and yet they couldn’t squeeze in more women’s matches into this show? I don’t know. If you go back, look for Charlotte’s incredible moonsault off the top to the outside. I loved it. The end was a screw job and JBL mentioned Little NAICH and that was that. Natalya and Bret Hart put the Flairs into sharpshooters and that was that.

Mr. McMahon said both McMahon children will be running Raw.


So after all that, both McMahon children will run Raw. This was awful. The show would eventually have both of them come out and restart the main event after Styles won twice. Once via count out and once via disqualification. Terrible.


Roman Reigns defeated Aj Styles (World Heavyweight Championship)


Now this was a title match. Aj Styles was going through every move in the book. Reigns was strong overall, and the two put on a stellar showcase of what you should see in the main event at Pay Per view events. I was impressed with Styles completely, and Reigns was not a chump here. The two put on serious moves, suplexes, high risk maneuvers, and so much. They tore the house down in this one. The match ended twice, then restarted, and that’s when The Bullet Club showed up. They beat down Reigns and this was all Aj. Aj Styles was seconds away from winning the WWE Championship, but nope, The Usos were the equalizers, and well, a spear later and it was all said and done. Reigns wins, gets booed out of the building, but what a hell of a match. Great, great showcase. Great main event.

WWE Payback 2016 Results


Dolph Ziggler defeated Baron Corbin
Kalisto defeated Ryback (United States Championship)
Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady vs. The Vaudevillians NO CONTEST
Kevin Owens defeated Sami Zayn
The Miz defeated Cesaro (Intercontinental Championship)
Dean Ambrose defeated Chris Jericho
Charlotte defeated Natalya (Women’s Championship)
Mr. McMahon said both McMahon children will be running Raw.
Roman Reigns defeated Aj Styles (World Heavyweight Championship)


My overall rating for WWE Payback 2016 is: 9 out 10 as it was a lot more fun than WrestleMania.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...